Saturday, February 14, 2009

I Hate to be Pessimistic

It seems all the writers and radio people (and most of my blogs) are all optimistic outlooks for the Phillies. I suppose that is every ones outlook as spring is right around the corner and every ones team is going to win the world series this coming year. I wanted to take a look at what could throw a "Fly in the ointment" with the Phillies season this year. I guess the biggest one outside the team, would be the Mets and Braves or some other wildcard team just being better than the Phils. I will look internal to the team and give a short quip on my projected 25 players.

Howard - Complacent with his new contract? Not being driven by his year to year contract.
Utley - Having a hard time coming back from his surgery.
Rollins - Same down season as last year
Feliz - Having a hard time coming back from his surgery.
Ibanez - Getting older - could go down hill.
Victorino - Maybe he has had his career year
Werthe - Maybe he has had his career year.
Ruiz - Same down season as last year.
Hamels - Looses his focus after MVP showings last year.
Myers - Same minor league season as last year
Moyer - Age, Age, Age
Blanton - Career under-performer
Park - Can you spell HR's in citizen park.
Happ - Hapless sophomore season
Condrey - Nuf said
Romero - Trouble coming back mid season.
Durbin - Has to be worse than last year
Eyre - Journeyman
Madson - Returns to form
Lidge - Has to go backwards
Dobbs - Most likely worse than last year
Bruntlett - Journeyman
Jenkins - This is a hard one - He almost has to get better.
Paulino - Hitting is worse than Coste
Coste or Stairs - Journeyman

So, you can see there are reason the Phils could go down hill this season. I have not mentioned yet the biggest reason they could run into trouble, and that is injuries. This team got pretty lucky last year with no major injuries, but with players like Victorino, Werth and Utley there is a good chance of it happening. They also have the Fragile Hamels and the old Moyer.
Well, I am glad I got the negative out of my system. Let's start SPRING TRAINING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment