Friday, March 13, 2009

Follow-ups

After my posting yesterday about the prospects Donald and Mayberry, I have read a few articles on the same subject. One stated that Manual has been in 40 years worth of Spring camps and one thing he learned was to not make rash judgements after just 11 games. So maybe I was jumping the gun yesterday, saying these 2 should be on the roster.

Another article mentioned that Stairs roster spot may be in jeopardy, and Stairs shrugged his shoulders and said he has been around long enough not to worry about such things and they know what I can do. It also sounded like he is OK with retirement. His plans are to become a Manager or hitting coach in the big leagues. (I think Coste has said the same)

A third article was asking if Worth is really an every-day player. I also ask this question - because he cannot hit Righties very well. The article was mentioning if it makes sense to platoon Jenkins and Worth in right field. I guess it makes sense to hit Jenkins against tough righties.

Another mentioned that most likely Mayberry and Donald will start in AAA to get 4 at bats every game and not sit the bench in the majors. Makes sense I guess - I was thinking maybe they are looking at Donald as a replacement for Feliz after this season, and maybe Mayberry for a replacement for Ibanez after next season.

2 comments:

  1. I think it would make sense for them to play Jenkins against the really tough righties but Werth had shown last season that he is indeed capable of hitting right handed pitching. That was how he won the starting job as it was. Granted Jenkins was horrible but Charlie still didn't want to put Werth as the starter until he proved he could hit righties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree - I saw Werth look pitiful against quite a few right-handers last year. Yes - I do remember him also getting a good amout of big hits as well.

    ReplyDelete