Thursday, March 12, 2009

Nice Problem

Well, I am starting to believe that Mayberry and Donald need to make this team, at least until they cool off. I guess you have to wonder if they can do this as a pinch hitters off the bench, but I think it is worth a try.
Mayberrys' road blocks of course are Jenkins and Stairs, both of whom have their flaws. Jenkins, if you go by last year, has the very low batting average and did not come through in the clutch. He is also only hitting .200 in the Spring. Stairs, hitting just .222 in the spring, is a one dimensional player who can't even play the outfield any more. Mayberry can play a couple outfield positions, apparently has some power and can also run well.
Donald is leading the team with a .379 average and can play the 2 positions of the surgical patients on the team(2nd and 3rd). His competition of course is Bruntlett, who plays all 4 infield positions and is adding center field to his left field play from last year as well as Dobbs, the best pinch hitter in the league last year. I think Donald will have a hard time making the team.

So what makes a good bench player? In my opinion, I feel a high batting average is most important. Hoping for a Home run at exactly the right time is pie in the sky thinking. To me a consistent high batting average gets you the hits needed at the right times more often.
In my way of thinking, Donald and Mayberry make the team in the places of Jenkins and Stairs. I would not expect the Phils to eat another large salary(Eaton) like Jenkins again though.
It is just a shame though, that many players productive years are spent in the minors like Howard and Utley were. Oh well, I guess I have to wait till I become the GM.

No comments:

Post a Comment